Plans have been unveiled by Limerick City and County Council for the re-development of Limerick’s premier street – O’Connell Street. The O’Connell Street Revitalisation Project covers the area between the junctions with Denmark Street/ Arthur’s Quay and Cecil Street/ Lower Cecil Street.
The overarching aim of the project is for the street to be primarily pedestrian priority, while being flexible in use.
The project includes:
- Wider footpaths to facilitate people gathering, on-street trading, and 'spill out zones' from shops and cafés on the street
- Provision of street furniture on O'Connell Street including seating areas, trees, planting, bicycle stands, and lighting, as well as features such as sculptures, pedestrian plazas and water installations
- Dedicated cycle lanes to facilitate active travel
- Introduction of public transport infrastructure and reduction in the width of traffic lanes
- Raised table junctions to slow down traffic
- Relocation of parking and loading spaces from O'Connell Street to adjacent side streets
Update, 1st March 2021: Limerick City and County Council has confirmed that work on the €9.1m revitalisation of O’Connell Street will proceed following a review of critical transport infrastructure projects in Limerick. In accordance with the relevant legislation on Covid 19 temporary restrictions, certain essential construction work is permitted. This includes projects involving “the repair, maintenance and construction of critical transport and utility infrastructure”. On site works had been due to start last January but had been halted due to Level 5 restrictions. Further to consultation at departmental level and with project funders, Limerick City and County Council has determined that it is now appropriate to proceed with the works.
Weekly Project Information Clinics
ShareRidge Civil Engineering are hosting a weekly information clinic to discuss the O’Connell Street Revitalisation Project on the following days/times at the meeting room of the Regus Offices on Bedford Row (The Gallery, The Old Savoy Complex, Limerick V94 VY47).
- Tuesday 28th September 9am – 11am
- Tuesday 5th October 10am – 12pm
- Tuesday 12th October 10am – 12pm
- Tuesday 19th October 10am – 12pm
Any Stakeholders who would like to attend are very welcome.