Limerick Museum

From Tuesday 1st December the country returns to Level 3 restrictions under the Government's Plan for Living with Covid-19.

Limerick Museum is open to the public with protective measures in place.

Limerick Museum's collection illustrates the history of Limerick and its people. The displays include archaeological artefacts, Limerick silver, Limerick lace, examples of local printing, military artefacts and much more.

Limerick Museum was founded in 1906 and was opened to the public in 1916. Its original location was in the City Library, which was then in the Carnegie Building in Pery Square, and the librarian of the day was its curator.

The Museum was closed to the public between 1974 and 1979. It reopened in a new premises in John’s Square, where it remained for 20 years. In 1998 the Museum was on the move again, this time to Castle Lane, before taking up residence in Istabraq Hall in Merchant's Quay. 

On the 30th May 2017 the Limerick Museum moved to its new home in the former Franciscan Friary on Henry Street in the heart of the city centre. 

Limerick Museum is dedicated to the memory of Jim Kemmy, the former Democratic Socialist Party and Labour Party TD for Limerick East, and two-time Mayor of Limerick.

The story of the city and county is presented through its objects, from Stone Age axes to medieval coins, from the civic sword of Queen Elizabeth I to medals presented to veterans of the 1916 Rising.

Among the more unusual items include: Ireton’s Cat, a mummified cat found on Nicholas Street in the 1890’s, a fragment of the largest meteorite that ever fell in Ireland in 1813, and two World War II gas-masks, that fortunately never had to be used.

Contact Information

The Old Franciscan Friary
Henry Street

It is a five minute walk from the Tourist Office and O'Connell Street and 15 minutes from the rail and bus station.

This service is provided by

Libraries and Museum Department

Phone +353 61 556526
Limerick City and County Council, Dooradoyle Road, Dooradoyle, Limerick, V94 AP03