Healthy Limerick envisions a Limerick where everyone is empowered to enjoy positive wellbeing which is supported at every level of society and achieved by working together.
- Purpose of Healthy Limerick
- Healthy Limerick Principles
- About Healthy Limerick
- We’re Breastfeeding Friendly Limerick
- Contact Information
- Useful Links
We will improve health, positive wellbeing and quality of life by ensuring all sectors are aware of and collaborate to achieve a healthy Limerick working with a social determinants approach to health.
- Healthy Limerick is informed by the WHO Definition of Health “a state of complete physical, mental and social wellbeing and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”.
- Healthy Limerick will actively promote dignity, equality and partnership and ensure due regard for human rights in everything we do.
- Healthy Limerick is a system to understand and address wellbeing factors, issues and needs in a collaborative manner that makes the best use of resources.
- Health Limerick is locally driven, making national strategies relevant to local context
- Healthy Limerick is committed to evidence-informed practice which includes measuring and evaluating what we do.
- Healthy Limerick is about supporting our stakeholders to identify and achieve their wellbeing goals.
Healthy Limerick about integrating health into the work of the stakeholders from planning to implementation and beyond.
- Jointly-funded by Limerick City and County Council and the HSE.
- Part of the Social Development Directorate in Limerick City and County Council.
- As a subcommittee of the Local Community Development Committee (LCDC), Healthy Limerick is supporting and linking actions in the Local Economic and Community Plan and associated plans.
- Accredited to the National Healthy Cities and Counties Network (member of the World Health Organisation's Healthy Cities initiative).
- Member of the Healthy Ireland Network.
- Informed by two key national policies: Healthy Ireland: A National Framework for Improved Health and Wellbeing 2013-2025 and Putting People First: Action Programme for Effective Local Government.
We’re Breastfeeding Friendly aims to help improve the health and wellbeing of breastfeeding mothers, babies and their families through the development and promotion of breastfeeding friendly businesses, organisations and communities.
Together, we will:
- Support business, community and public service settings to welcome breastfeeding mothers and families
- Support breastfeeding mothers and families to be active in the community
- Support parents during the key life transition of becoming a parent
- Support a strong culture of connectedness, - between agencies and within communities (and of course, between mother, family, baby and community)
Who can join We’re Breastfeeding Friendly?
Any business, community group or organisation that has premises open to the general public is eligible to join, for example customer services, hotels, community centres,sports and recreation facilities, restaurants, libraries or health centres. In order to join, a business, group or organisation must fulfil the criteria below. Businesses, community groups or organisations can choose to sign up individually or across a number of premises.
Criteria to join
- Breastfeeding is acceptable in all areas of your premises open to the public
- All staff members are made aware that your business, community group or organisation is participating in We’re Breastfeeding Friendly and is therefore supportive of the needs of breastfeeding mothers
- A mother who is breastfeeding in an area of your premises open to the public will not be asked to move to another area or stop breastfeeding
- The public are made aware that you are participating in We’re Breastfeeding Friendly and support breastfeeding through the display of a We’re Breastfeeding Friendly window sticker and/or poster
See here for a list of We're Breastfeeding Friendly premises in Limerick.
For more information about joining We're Breastfeeding Friendly click here.
Mo Foley Walsh, Healthy Limerick Coordinator
Community Development Department
Limerick City and County Council
Phone +353 61 557372 / 087-9915873
- Healthy Ireland
- Move for Life
- Get Ireland Active
- Get Ireland Walking
- Breastfeeding in a Healthy Ireland
- Tobacco-Free Ireland
- Reducing Harm - Supporting Recovery A health-led response to drug and alcohol use in Ireland 2017-2025
- A Healthy Weight for Ireland
- Connecting for Life - Mid-West Suicide Prevention Action Plan 2017-2020
- National Sexual Health Strategy
- Better Outcomes Brighter Futures