Limerick City and County Local Sports Partnerships merged to form Limerick Sports Partnership in January 2014.
The aim of Limerick Sports Partnership is “Getting Limerick Active” together by:
- Increasing participation in sport
- Ensuring that local resources are used to best effect
- Acting as a mechanism to co-ordinate the efforts of all key influencers to further develop sporting opportunities for local communities
- Being a vital link between the needs of local people, the work of other sports organisations/officers and national agencies and state agencies
Limerick Sports Partnership (LSP) is based in UL Sport Arena at the University of Limerick.
This location provides us with access to a weekly footfall of 12,000 -15,000 people while also creating links and relationships from grassroots, education and professional sport.
The LSP is an inter-agency and multi-sector organisation established as a limited company with representatives from all the main statutory, community and voluntary fora represented on a dedicated Board of Directors.
The Role of Limerick Sports Partnership
- To establish a consultative forum
- Initiate research
- Compile a sports directory and database
- Identify needs and resources to form the basis of local planning
The LSP are in the process of developing a new website where we will have an a-z of sporting clubs/organisations throughout Limerick.
Our website will also be an information sharing hub for clubs and individuals who decide to become LSP members. An example of this will be creating a central hub for all walking related activities/resources. We will continue to provide information in relation to upcoming funding streams as soon as they become available.
- Overall objective to provide quality opportunities for education and training at local level
- Provide training courses targeting volunteers,
- Provide access to sports specific courses through the National Governing Bodies of Sport.
We run a number of education and training courses namely Child Protection in Sport Basic Awareness, Children’s Officer, Active Leadership and Sports First Aid. Through our seminar series we continue to offer Continuous Professional Development (CPD) opportunities for all coaches and teachers.
- Develop a strategic plan for local sport
- Select participation programmes for LSP’s modified to suit local needs
- Increase impact of national programmes delivered locally
- Market and promote sport
In 2015 the Limerick Sports Partnership, together with stakeholders and partners, developed a strategic plan which identifies the requirements of targeted groups throughout Limerick. We endeavour to tackle the rise in obesity together providing education and training to sporting clubs and groups so that proper governance is in place throughout!
For Limerick Sports Partnership Strategic Plan 2016 - 2020 click here.
For more information about Limerick Sports Partnership click here.
Phone: +353 61 333600 / 87 2079172