The following guidelines and information are intended to inform and help an organisation or group wishing to invite the Mayor of the City and County of Limerick, Cllr. Michael Sheahan, to attend a function.
The Host is required to comply with these guidelines insofar as is practicable. The guidelines will apply to a Member of Council deputising for, or otherwise representing, the Mayor.
Any reference in the following to the Mayor includes the Mayoress. The following guidelines and information are intended to inform and help an organisation or group (hereinafter called “the Host”) wishing to invite the Mayor and Mayoress to attend a function.
The Host is required to comply with these guidelines insofar as is practicable. The guidelines will apply to a Member of Council deputising for, or otherwise representing the Mayor.
- A standard form (available to download below) should be fully completed providing details of the function, organisation, etc. and the level of involvement by the Mayor. Such other information as is considered relevant should also be provided.
- Invitations to functions or events etc. should be sent, either in hard copy to - The Secretary, Mayor’s Office, Merchants Quay, Limerick, or electronically to - email@example.com.
- In view of the demands on the Office and to facilitate the scheduling of the Mayor’s Diary, adequate notice (generally a minimum of four weeks) should be given by the Host.
- The Host must ensure that a convenient parking space is reserved for the Mayor’s car.
- The responsible person should meet the Mayor and Mayoress on arrival at the entrance to the building, and should escort them to their places.
- The Mayor and Mayoress should be introduced to the Host, the principals of the organisation / group, other dignitaries, and such others as is considered necessary.
- In any seating arrangement, the place reserved for the Mayor shall generally be on the immediate right of the Host / person presiding.
- The Mayor shall have precedence in all places in the City and County, except when the President of Ireland is present.
- Where another Member of Council is deputising, or otherwise representing the Mayor, he/she should be accorded the precedence of the Mayor.
- If the Mayor is required to speak at any function, the initial invitation from the organisation/group should confirm this. Save for the Host’s introduction, it is normal for the Mayor to be the first speaker or associated with the first toast.
The correct title for the First Citizen of the city and county is Mayor or Mhéara.
At the conclusion of the function, the Mayor and Mayoress should be escorted to their car by the Host or other responsible person.
If you wish to invite the Mayor to a function please download and complete the Protocol for Attendance form in the supporting documents at the end of this page and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to Office of the Mayor.
Office of the Mayor
Phone: +353 61 557147