Please note the deadlines for Receipt of Applications to the Supplement to the Register of Electors below.
- Register of Electors
- Who Can Vote?
- Draft Register
- The Live Register
- Postal Vote
- Edited Register
- Contact Information
- Applications for entry to the Supplement to the Postal and Special Voters Lists – Sunday 28th April 2019
- Applications for entry to the Supplement to the Register of Electors – Tuesday 7th May 2019
Limerick City and County Council prepares a new Register of Electors each year.
To check if you are on the register click here.
The Register of Electors is published on 1st February each year and comes into force for a period of 12 months beginning on 15th February of each year.
Persons aged 18 years or over on the day the register comes into force are entitled to be on the register. The address at which a person is registered will be the address he/she resides in on the 1st September preceding publication. A person can register at one address only.
While every resident is entitled to be registered, the registration authority needs to know a person’s citizenship to determine at which elections a person may vote. The right to vote is as follows:
- Irish Citizens: May vote at every election and referendum
- British Citizens: May vote at Dáil, European and Local Elections only
- Other EU Citizens: May vote at European & Local Elections only
- Non - EU Citizens: May vote at Local Elections only
A draft register is published by 1st November each year. The draft register is made available at Limerick City and County Council's offices and also at the libraries, post offices, Garda stations and other public offices. The public are invited to check that they are properly registered.
- To get on the Register download the RFA Draft Register Application Form here
- To get on the Register download the RFA Draft Register Application Form - Irish here
Claims for addition or deletion of names must be made by 25th November and these are ruled on by the County Registrar. Interested parties are notified of the decision and can appeal to the Circuit Court if dissatisfied.
The live register is used at every election and referendum held during the year. If you find that you are omitted from the register, you can apply to be included on a supplement to the register by downloading the form below:
- RFA 2 - Application for inclusion in Supplement to the Register of Electors 2019
- RFA 2 - Application for inclusion in Supplement to the Register of Electore 2019 - Irish
To apply to change your address download the form below:
- RFA 3 - Application for inclusion in Supplement to the Register of Electors 2019 - Change of Address - English
- RFA 3 - Application for inclusion in Supplement to the Register of Electors 2019 - Change of Address - Irish
Please note that the application must reach Limerick City and County Council before the fourteenth day (Sundays, public holidays and Good Friday excluded) before polling day
Various categories of persons can seek registration as postal voters:
- The Defence Forces
- an Garda Síochána
- Diplomats serving abroad
- Certain disabled voters living at home
- Persons who cannot attend at their own polling station by reason of their occupation/education
- Prisoners Persons who reside in a hospital, nursing home or similar institution can apply for inclusion on the Special Voters List.
The latest date by which applications must be received is 25th November and a new application must be made for each year.
Local authorities now have an obligation to prepare two versions of the register of electors - the edited register and the full register.
- The Edited Register will contain the names and addresses of persons who have indicated that their details can be used for direct marketing use by a commercial or other organisation.
- The Full Register lists everyone who is entitled to vote and once the Edited Register has been published, the Full Register can only be used for an electoral or other statutory purpose. You are required to indicate whether or not you wish to have your details included on the Edited Register.
Phone: +353 61 556000
Fax: +353 61 415266
Opening hours: Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm