The Seveso II Directive is aimed at preventing major accidents involving dangerous substances and limiting the consequences in the event of such a major accident.
The EC COMAH Directive 96/82/EC as amended by Directive 2003/105/EC is also known as the Seveso II Directive.
The Directive was implemented in Ireland as the S.I. No. 74/2006 - European Communities (Control of Major Accident Hazards Involving Dangerous Substances) Regulations 2006.
The Directive defines major accident hazard sites as those that store or can generate quantities of dangerous substances in excess of specified thresholds.
Dangerous Substances are classified as:
- Dangerous for the environment
Threshold quantities are specified for named substances, categories of substances and groups of categories. Sites are classified as Lower Tier or Upper Tier, depending on whether the lower or upper threshold is exceeded.
In Limerick, there are two No. Upper Tier Seveso Sites and two No. Lower Tier Seveso Sites.
- Atlantic Fuels Supply Company, Foynes Port, Foynes, Co. Limerick.
- Gouldings Fertiliser, Morgan’s South, Askeaton, Co. Limerick.
- Irish Liquid Bulk Storage, Foynes Port, Foynes, Co. Limerick.
- Grasslands Fertiliser, Dock Road, Limerick City.
Upper-Tier Seveso sites are required to notify the public within a specified area, prepare a safety report and liaise with the local competent authorities in preparation of an External Emergency Plan.
External Emergency Plan
An External Emergency Plan is prepared in accordance with the requirements of the European Communities (Control of Major Accident Hazards involving Dangerous Substances) Regulations, 2006 (S.I. 74 of 2006).
The objectives of an External Emergency Plan prepare for:
- Containing and controlling incidents so as to minimize the effects, and to limit damage to people, the environment and property.
- Implementing the measures necessary to protect people and the environment from the effects of major accidents.
- Communicating the necessary information to the public and to the services or authorities concerned in the area, and
- Providing for the restoration and clean-up of the environment following a major accident.
External Emergency Plans are in place for the two Upper Tier Seveso Sites in Limerick.