The closing date for applications for Limerick Going for Gold Environmental Improvement Grant & Competition 2017 (Incorporating Limerick in Bloom) has passed. Please contact Customer Services if you require further information.
Limerick City and County Council
Merchant's Quay / Dooradoyle
Phone: +353 61 496200
The Limerick Going for Gold Final took place on 11th October 2016.
List of categories, winners and awards:
Going for Gold Challenge
1st Place - €10,000 - Glin
2nd Place - €7,000 - Kilteely
3rd Place - €5,000 - Adare
4th Place - €3,000 - Patrickswell
5th Place - €2,000 - Newcastle West
Finalists (each receive €1,000)
Limerick in Bloom
1st Place - €5,000 - Ardpatrick
2nd Place - €3,000 - Strand
3rd Place - €2,000 - Knockainey
The Limerick Going for Gold Environmental Improvement Grant & Competition 2016 (Incorporating Limerick in Bloom) aims to assist with Environmental Improvement works undertaken by nonprofit making organisations working within Limerick City and County areas.
The winners of Limerick Going for Gold 2015 were announced at an awards ceremony on Tuesday, 20th October 2015 in the Limerick Strand Hotel.
- Castleconnell was awarded the top prize of €10,000
- Athea came in second with €7,000 and €5,000 being presented to Athea (2nd) and
- South Limerick City came third with €5,000
- In 4th place was Kilfinane (€3000)
- The other placed finalists were Caherdavin and Croom (joint 5th) (€2,000)
- The remaining finalists were awarded (€1,000).
Limerick in Bloom winners:
- Limerick in Bloom Category’s Overall winner was Adare (€5,000) and overall runner up Ardpatrick (€3,000).
- The winners in each Municipal district were Croagh. Galbally, Glin and Clarina.
- The runners up in each of these areas were Foynes, Kilmallock, Strand and Gouldavoher.
The following 2015 finalists were chosen by public text vote on the Limerick Today Show, Live 95 FM:
- Kilteely Tidy Towns
- Broadford Development Association
- Kilfinane Tidy Towns
- Anglesboro Tidy Towns
- Rathkeale Tidy Towns
- Castleconnell Tidy Towns
- Wildcards: Athea, Caherdavin, Croom Hospital, O'Malley Keyes and South Limerick City
Thirty six communities from across Limerick were shortlisted for this year’s Limerick Going for Gold Community Challenge Category.
The 36 shortlisted communities
- Kilteely Tidy Towns – Kilteely
- Kilteragh Residents Association - Kilteragh
- Feenagh Tidy Towns - Feenagh
- Athea Tidy Towns - Athea
- Galbally Tidy Towns - Galbally
- Gouldavoher Residents Association – Gouldavoher
- Doon Tidy Towns - Doon
- Glin Development Association - Glin
- Moyross Tidy Town - Moyross
- Broadford Development Association - Broadford
- Bruff Tidy Towns - Bruff
- Our Lady of Lourdes - OLOL
- Foynes Community Council - Foynes
- Croagh Community Council - Croagh
- O' Malley Keyes – OMK
- Ballyneety Tidy Towns - Ballyneety
- Kildimo Tidy Towns - Kildimo
- Kilfinane Tidy Towns – Kilfinane
- Anglesboro Tidy Towns - Anglesboro
- Ardpatrick Tidy Towns - Ardpatrick
- Elton Tidy Towns – Elton
- Abbeyfeale Tidy Towns - Abbeyfeale
- Janesboro Tidy Towns - Janesboro
- Kilmallock Tidy Towns - Kilmallock
- Adare Tidy Towns - Adare
- Annacotty Tidy Towns - Annacotty
- Hospital Tidy Towns – Hospital
- Carew Kincora Estate Management – Carew Kincora
- Murroe Tidy Towns - Murroe
- Rathkeale Tidy Towns - Rathkeale
- Askeaton Tidy Towns - Askeaton
- Castleconnell Tidy Towns - Castleconnell
- Croom Tidy Towns – Croom
- Caherdavin Tidy Towns - Caheradavin
- Newcastle West Tidy Towns - NCW
- South Limerick City Residents Association – South Limerick
Featuring a prize fund of €74,000, which is fully funded by the McManus Charitable Foundation, the 2015 competition featured four separate categories, namely Going for Gold Community Challenge (top prize of €10,000), Limerick In Bloom and a Tidy Towns Incentive category. Separately, there was a Best Front Garden Competition, sponsored by The Parkway Shopping Centre.
Going for Gold Challenge Category (with population related subcategories):
This category is open to all groups including those that have entered Tidy Towns and will have population subcategories. The following will be considered in relation to the judging of this category:
- Project for which ‘Limerick G4G EIG incorporating LIB 2015’ grant aid was provided;
- Application form received;
- General absence of litter from the areas including approach roads;
- Features of approach roads to area, village or town;
- Details of additional works undertake since previous year if applicable.
Limerick in Bloom Category:
This category, which is open to all groups, relates to appropriate planting and floral displays, use of colour, perennial planting and planting schemes that attract biodiversity. Hanging baskets, window boxes are relevant in this section. There will be a monetary prize for winners in each of the four Municipal District areas with an overall winner receiving a monetary prize and the Limerick in Bloom Trophy.
Best Front Garden Competition:
This category requires completion of an additional application form. The Parkway Shopping Centre, Childers Road, Limerick, produce the application form along with sponsoring and judging this category of the competition please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note the garden must be visible from the public road
Tidy Towns Incentive Category:
This category is open to groups that have entered the National Tidy Towns Competition in 2015 and whose results are eligible to be listed in the 2015 Tidy Towns Results Book. This category will be based on Tidy Towns results for 2015. The most improved group across the City and County will receive a prize. In addition, the most improved group in each of the Municipal Districts will also receive a prize. There will be a selection of awards under various Tidy Towns category headings also.
Judging of all Limerick Going for Gold Category entrants is ongoing and all Limerick Going for Gold 2015 applications are still under consideration for the Limerick in Bloom Category.
Limerick Going for Gold is being run by Limerick City & County Council in association with the JP McManus Charitable Foundation and is supported by Live 95 fm and the Limerick Leader Limerick Chronicle, Limerick Post, I Love Limerick and Southern Media Marketing.
Please note this grant scheme replaces:
- the Priming Grant Scheme which operated in the county areas up until 2014
- the former Environment Improvement Grant Scheme in city areas
- Limerick in bloom (it incorporates this)
Making Limerick City a cleaner and brighter place to live, work and visit. The Going for Gold Campaign aims to raise awareness of environmental issues, get people involved in their own areas, and make a physical difference in communities and to have some fun!
Limerick City and County Council
Phone: 061 496200