Who can make a complaint?
You can make a complaint if you feel that:
- You have been unfairly treated by the Council.
- That a service to which you believe you are entitled is not being provided.
- That a service being provided is inadequate.
- That a decision made in relation to you is incorrect, or did not take all factors into account.
- That a request for service/information has been ignored.
Areas excluded from the Council’s complaints system
- Areas where formal appeal/complaints procedures apply. Example: a planning decision must be appealed via An Bord Pleanála.
- Areas where Freedom of Information applications are made under the Acts 1997/2003/2014.
How do I make a complaint?
You can make a complaint:
- Using the PDF form available at the end of this page
- Using the online form by clicking the 'Feedback' button on the right hand side of this page
- Via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
If I am not happy with the service I received, what can I do?
If you are dissatisfied with the service you received or the outcome of an application you made, you must first discuss it with the service department concerned, and follow any internal appeal procedure the service may have.
If you are still dissatisfied with the response, you may refer your complaint to the Council’s Customer Services Manager on this form. A formal complaint will not be accepted unless it has been investigated by the department first. We will acknowledge your complaint within five working days, and respond to you within 15 working days. If we are unable to respond to you within the 15 days, we will advise you why.
If you are unsatisfied with the response from the Customer Services Manger you may lodge an appeal to the Director of Services Customer Services, Merchants Quay, Limerick.
Finally, you may appeal the matter in writing to: The Office of the Ombudsman, 18 Lower Leeson Street, Dublin 2.
The Council’s Customer Charter contains information on what our customers, elected representatives, and citizens can expect from their dealings with us regarding service delivery. It is available to view on our website here or at our Customer Services desks in Dooradoyle, Merchant's Quay, Kilmallock, Newcastle West and Rathkeale. Please ask for a copy.