Not Around Us is about promoting an environment where it is easier for those who smoke to quit and stay quit and to help de-normalise smoking for the next generation. Not Around Us is another step Towards a Tobacco Free Limerick.
Limerick City and County Council is leading this initiative in partnership with a range of stakeholders - HSE, Limerick Local Community Development Committee, Limerick Comhairle na nÓg, Limerick Children and Young People’s Services Committee, Limerick Childcare Committee, Healthy Ireland and ASH Ireland, Council of the Irish Heart Foundation.
Towards a Tobacco Free Limerick
Towards a Tobacco Free Limerick is about supporting the national Tobacco Free Ireland policy and action plan in partnership with local communities across Limerick city and county.
About Not Around Us
The purpose of Not Around Us
- Helping to protect children and young people from second-hand smoke exposure
- Contributing to the de-normalisation of smoking for children and young people
- Reducing the environmental nuisance, cost of cleaning and damage that discarded tobacco products create
- Signposting to HSE Quit services
Overview of Not Around Us
Not Around Us is funded by Healthy Ireland and the HSE.
Not Around Us involves the:
- Creation of a new brand, Not Around Us
- Design and production of signage for use in outdoor places and spaces where children and young people are likely to be
- Launch of Not Around Us the same week as World No Tobacco Day 2019
- The signage made available to interested early years services and not-for-profit groups and organisations across Limerick city and county. Signage upgraded in Limerick City and County Council managed playgrounds.
- Not Around Us graphics and resources made available for download from Limerick.ie
- Ongoing communications
How to Get Involved
Not Around Us signage is available free of charge to early years services and not-for-profit groups/organisations in Limerick. To get involved simply complete an expression of interest form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The form can be downloaded from the supporting documents at the end of the page.
The professionally designed and manufactured permanent signage is for use in outdoor places and spaces where children and young people are likely to be.
Temporary external signage is available for use at events where there are dedicated places for children or young people.
Not Around Us artwork is available to download from the supporting documents below.
For a location map of your nearest participating premises please click here.
Useful Links and Publications
- Tobacco Free Ireland Policy
- Tobacco Free Ireland Action Plan
- Tobacco Free Ireland Partners Conference 2018
- Healthy Ireland
- Spunout.ie (section on smoking)
- Healthpromotion.ie (information resources to order or download)
All businesses, organisations and community groups in Limerick are encouraged to make their staff, volunteers and service users aware of the HSE’s Quit services.
Freephone the Quitline on 1800 201303 or visit Quit.ie.