Limerick City and County Council administers the Individual Domestic Well Grants.
The objective of the grant scheme is to assist households in rural areas that are dependent on a private water supply (individual well) for their household use, by financially assisting them where they incur capital expenditure, to carry out improvements to the supply, to ensure that the water supply is wholesome and clean, or that the quantity supplied is insufficient to meet the domestic needs of the household.
An applicant may be considered eligible for a grant if, in the opinion of the Local Authority, the following criteria are met:
- The improvement works will be carried out on a water supply to a house, where that water supply does not meet the quality standards in the regulations or the quantity supplied is insufficient to meet the domestic needs of the household
- The house is occupied by the applicant as his or her normal place of residence
- The house is not connected to, and cannot reasonably be connected to, Irish Water or a Group Water Scheme
- The house is not located in an area that is, or is about to be, served by Irish Water or a Group Water Scheme
- The house has been fully constructed for more than seven years, and a grant has not been paid for the provision of, or improvement to, a water supply to the house under the scheme within the previous seven years. This includes grant aid in relation to treatment works
(a) 85% of the approved costs for well rehabilitation works, subject to a maximum grant of €3,000
85% of the approved costs for the provision of a new well, subject to a maximum grant of €5,000
(b) 100% of the approved costs for works that, in the opinion of the Local Authority, are necessary to treat the water to meet the water quality standards specified in Regulation 4(2) of the Drinking Water Regulations, subject to a maximum grant of €1,000. Examples of such treatments are filtration or Ultra Violet treatment.
A grant under these regulations shall not be paid where the total cost is less than €750.
Applicants should read the Terms and Conditions for the scheme before completing the application form (Terms and Conditions are available to download in the supporting documents).
Please Note: Works carried out prior to an inspection and approval by Limerick City and County Council will not qualify for this grant.
Application forms are available to download below. Completed application forms, along with the relevant supporting documentation, can be posted to:
Domestic Well Grant Section
Limerick City and County Council
Or email completed application and supporting documentation to : email@example.com
For enquiries please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 061 556328.