Roundabouts have the potential to be so much more than traffic control features. They can also be attractive greenspaces which greatly enhance the appearance of our cityscape and provide havens for biodiversity.
Pollinator friendly planting by Landscape Architect Dave Ryan who is designer for the Roundabouts Project.
With funding from the Heritage Council and as part of Limerick’s European Green Leaf Year, Limerick City and County Council has commissioned a series of stunning, pollinator and biodiversity friendly landscaping schemes for eight of the city’s more prominent roundabouts, these are: Kilmallock Road, Tipperary Road, The Parkway, Green Park, Clondrinagh, Loughmore, Ballycummin and Roxborough. Two roundabouts in Newcastlewest have also been included in the project.
The designs, which are all unique are intended to reflect the character of their settings, with the more rural roundabouts incorporating wildflowers and native species, while more formal designs, based on pollinator friendly perennials, have been chosen for the more urban locations. The landscape design drawings for the roundabouts can be viewed and downloaded below.
The planting of the Loughmore roundabout was completed in Nov 2020 with funding from the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage under the National Biodiversity Action Plan. This design includes a native woodland wildflower meadow combined with the existing trees on the roundabout.
Limerick City and County Council is seeking expressions of interest from companies and organisations who would like to become partners in this project and sponsor implementation of the planting schemes on any of the remaining roundabouts.
For more details about the scheme check the briefing document or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Expression of Interest form is contained in the briefing document.
Limerick City Roundabouts
Limerick City Roundabout Specifications and Maintenance Plans
- Limerick City Roundabouts Landscape Design and Maintenance Plans
- 10 Year Maintenance Plans for Limerick City Roundabouts
- 10 Year Maintenance Plans Schedule
- Roxborough Roundabout Existing Planting Scheme
- Roxborough Roundabout Proposed Planting Scheme
- Roxborough Roundabout Proposed Hard Landscaping
Tipperary Road Roundabout
- Tipperary Road Roundabout Existing Planting Scheme
- Tipperary Road Roundabout Proposed Planting Scheme
- Tipperary Road Roundabout Proposed Hard Landscaping
Kilmallock Road Roundabout
- Kilmallock Road Roundabout Existing Planting Scheme
- Kilmallock Road Roundabout Proposed Landscaping Scheme
- Ballycummin Roundabout Existing Planting Scheme
- Ballycummin Roundabout Proposed Planting Scheme
- Ballycummin Roundabout Proposed Hard Landscaping
- Greenpark Roundabout Existing Planting Scheme
- Greenpark Roundabout Proposed Planting Scheme
- Greenpark Roundabout Proposed Hard Landscaping
Newcastle West Roundabouts
Newcastle West Roundabout Specifications and Maintenance Plans
- Newcastle West Roundabouts Landscape Works Specifications
- Newcastle West Roundabouts Landscape Designs and Maintenance Plans
Arra Roundabout, Newcastle West
Old Pike Road Roundabout, Newcastle West