Limerick Jazz Festival returns to the city later this month [27-30 September] with a wide range of great music and top class artists from across Ireland, Britain and Europe.
- Limerick Jazz Festival returns for seventh outing
The upcoming 7th International Jazz Festival kicks off with a great jazz trail taking in seven great venues across the city.
The festival, which has been running since 2012, has gone from strength to strength attracting a host of fantastic line-ups and this year’s festival is set to be the biggest yet.
This year’s headline acts are:
- Guinness Jazz Trail at venues around the city on Thursday 27 Sep
- Linley Hamilton with The Camden Orchestra under the direction of Cian Boylan plays in the Belltable on Fri 28 Sep at 8pm
- The Julien Siegel Quartet bring their own unique style to Upstairs at Dolan’s on Friday night at 10.30pm
- Stomping on the Jazz with Ruti is a free Music Workshop for Children in Ormston House on Saturday morning at 11am
- A Jazz Improv Workshop with Joe O’Callaghan Trio is on at 2pm in the Hunt Museum on Saturday
- On Saturday evening Dolan’s plays host to Paul Dunlea Group [Upstairs] followed by the Renegade Brass Band [Warehouse]
- On Sunday, it’s Dolans Warehouse again for Jim Doherty and then Aoife Doyle with The Limerick Jazz Quartet
John Daly, Limerick Jazz Festival organiser said: “We’re delighted to present an eclectic mixture of some of the finest local, national and international Jazz musicians for a fantastic four days of top quality live music in Limerick. Limerick Jazz will be presenting a programme of events that combines quality, accessibility and great value for money. Limerick’s Jazz scene is growing and maturing every year and this year’s festival.”
Mayor of the City and County of Limerick Cllr James Collins said: “It’s fantastic to see the return of the Limerick Jazz Festival to the city for its seventh anniversary. It has firmly established itself as part of the city’s autumn cultural calendar and it is great to see the organisers continue to attract great artists to the city.”
Sheila Deegan, Culture and Arts Officer with Limerick City and County Council added: “The significance of jazz can be noticed by its varying styles, innovations and complexity. Jazz has intricate rhythms and harmonies which are reflected in this wonderfully diverse programme in this year’s festival.”
Limerick Jazz Festival is promoted by the Limerick Jazz Society and is supported by the Arts Council, Limerick City and County Council and Fáilte Ireland.
Limerick Jazz Society is the longest continually active jazz society in Ireland and celebrated its 30th anniversary in 2012 with the first Limerick Jazz Festival. Its regular spring and autumn seasons feature performances by leading international and Irish performers. Since 2007 it has also provided jazz education programs through Limerick Jazz Workshop, the only regular jazz workshop in Ireland outside Dublin and the International Vibes Workshop Summer School.