Askeaton is one of the oldest towns in County Limerick, located on the banks of the Deel River, 3 kilometres upstream from the Shannon Estuary.
The town has richness in history and ancient archaeological remains with a castle on a tiny island in the centre of the town which dates back to 1199 and a Franciscan Friary from 1389 which was founded by the 4th Earl of Desmond. The Castle was once the home of the Earls of Desmond known as the Kings of Munster.
As a stronghold, it remained a threat to the English Crown in Ireland until the Castle was finally destroyed by Cromwellian forces in 1652. The Friary remains one of the most beautiful complete ruins in Ireland and can be seen from the N69 scenic driving route.
Askeaton has a strong swimming history and a state of the art leisure centre and pool was opened in the town in 2008. There is also a new children’s playground located in the green in the town. The town has a significant industrial sector with multinational companies Pfizer and RUSAL Aughinish located nearby.
Nearby attractions include the Askeaton Pool and Leisure Centre, the Franciscan Friary and the Castle, and guided tours, the nature trail with a bird hide and butterfly sanctuary at Aughinish Island, Curraghchase Forest Park, the Stonehall Visitor Farm, Rigneys Farm Shop, Kilcornan Outdoor Karting and the Flying Boat Museum located in Foynes.