Reference code: IE LA L/PC
- Extent: c. 60pp
- Scope & Content: Administrative File (1922)
- Subjects: Limerick City Police Force
- Creator(s): Limerick City Police Force
Biographical / Historical Note
On the 9th October 1921 the Limerick Borough Council adopted the recommendations of a Retrenchment Committee to abolish the Night Watch and pension off its members. Meanwhile in accordance with the terms of the Anglo-Irish Treaty 1921, the RIC withdrew from Limerick City. Mayor Stephen O’Mara recruited the Limerick City Police Force, as a purely civic body, to replace both the Nightwatch and the RIC in policing the city. The impetus for establishing the police force came from a Meeting of the Merchants and Traders held at the Chamber of Commerce on Friday the 5th of May 1922. The police force were managed by a sub-committee of city officials and local businessmen. A sort of rate was collected from local businessmen to pay for this force. The body of Police consisted of 38 men, and their headquarters was situated at the City Court. The men were stationed in a number of the former RIC barracks. The Limerick City Police Force was soon replaced by the Garda Siochana, which was founded on 8th February, 1922, and deployed all over the country over the next few months.
- Access Restrictions: N.A.
- Use Restrictions: N.A.
- Related Materials: L/MIN City Council Minute Books; P1 Limerick Chamber of Commerce
A. Administrative File (1922)
PDF FILE: L/PC/1. 6 May 1922-10 July 1922
Extent: c. 60pp
Access Rules: N.A.