Castleconnell is a scenic village in County Limerick on the banks of the River Shannon, 11 km outside Limerick City, and just a few minutes walk from the boundaries where County Limerick meets County Clare and County Tipperary.
The village is home to a number of fine architectural buildings including the Castle Oaks Hotel and Mountshannon House, built in the mid 18th century in a neo Palladian style, it now lies in ruins.
Due to the proximity of the town to Limerick City, Castleconnell has experienced an increase in housing development in recent times and has a number of pubs and restaurants.
The village remains a popular location for anglers fishing on the Shannon and Mulcair rivers and has a long history in angling, once being a popular location for royalty to fish. Castleconnell also has a rich and diverse bird life, particularly for swans that migrate from Iceland in the winter to breed on the river.
The town embraces its riverside setting and has an active rowing club in existence since 1983. Castleconnell’s Ahane Hurling Club is the most successful hurling team in Limerick, having won 19 senior county titles between 1931 and 1948.
Since the line was reopened in 2009 commuters can travel by train to Limerick City and Nenagh. There is a children’s playground located at the Ferry Car Park and just a short walk along by the river will bring you to the Fairy Woods.