Thousands set to attend one of the largest annual outdoor cultural events in the West of Ireland as Limerick hosts the 12th annual Riverfest!
Limerick will become a mecca for families, foodies, fun runners and watersport enthusiasts during the May Bank Holiday weekend (28th April - 2nd May 2016) for Riverfest 2016, the city’s hugely popular summer festival.
Full details were unveiled today (Tuesday, 12 April) of Limerick’s biggest festival which is this year embracing the scenic River Shannon, with spectacular performances by world champion wakeboarders and jetski champions as well as key waterfront events in a new Riverfestival village in Arthur’s Quay Park.
The popular Riverfest BBQ Competition, Ireland’s largest BBQ event, will move to Honan’s Quay, beside Arthur’s Quay Park, on the waterfront along with a host of family friendly activities for the public to enjoy as well as vintage amusements for children, craft, food and retail stalls and a spectacular fireworks display on the Sunday evening of the festival.
Riverfest on the Shannon will feature action packed water based activities and events such as a sailing regatta, kayaking and performances from watersports stars like 2016 Ladies Flyboard champion Gemma Weston from New Zealand who will perform a number of shows for the first time in Ireland.
Highlights of the five day festival include:
- Fashion Friday which returns with fashion shows and best dressed competitions from the Holman Lee Agency in Arthur’s Quay Shopping Centre on Friday 29th April
- Ireland’s largest barbecue cook-off, the Riverfest BBQ Competition will be a feast for the senses on Saturday, 30th April, at its new location at Honan’s Quay beside Arthur’s Quay Park!
- The new Riverfestival Village will be a treat for all the family with food, craft and retail stalls and stunning vintage amusements set against the backdrop of the glistening River Shannon in Arthur’s Quay Park, running daily!
- The Riverfestival Village will be the perfect viewing point to watch the many water based events on Saturday 30th April & Sunday 1st May including a sailing regatta, sea scouts boat launch, and kayaking!
- Further sights to see on the River Shannon will include performances by Gemma Weston, 2016 Ladies Flyboard World Champion, Ireland's David O’Caoimh, the World Number 5 Wakeboarder, and the British Freestyle Jet Ski Championship winning team of Craig Halloway, Chris Ames and David Herridge on Saturday 30th April and Sunday 1st May
- A spectacular fireworks display over the River Shannon will transform the skies of Limerick into an explosion of colour on Sunday 1st May @ 10pm (approx.)
- The jam-packed weekend will also see thousands of runners and walkers come to the city to participate in the Barrington’s Hospital Great Limerick Run which takes in many of the historical and scenic sights across Limerick, on Sunday 1st May. Now the largest participation event outside of Dublin, the run features entries from all 32 counties of Ireland and over 20 countries with musical acts from marching bands, gospel choirs, traditional music and DJs entertaining participants along the route of the marathon, half marathon and 10K event.
Speaking at today's event launch in the Curragower Bar and Restaurant on Clancy's Strand, Cllr Liam Galvin, the Mayor of the City and County of Limerick, congratulated the organisers for "showcasing the wonderful breadth of cultural activity in this most historic of Irish cities, one whose history is intrinsically linked with the River Shannon."
Cllr. Liam Galvin added; "As we enter the final stages in our bid to become European Capital of Culture 2020, the events taking place for this festival reminds us just why Riverfest sells out our hotels every year and is such a popular event attracting such a huge variety of people. It is the first major festival of the year in Ireland providing a wonderful opportunity for people from all over Ireland to come together in Limerick during the May Bank Holiday Weekend and experience everything that is special about our Treaty City."
Sheila Deegan, Deputy Director, Limerick 2020 said: “Festivals play a distinctive role in providing a place for citizens and visitors to interact in a celebratory way. Festivals like Riverfest, also have the power to touch us all, to give us an opportunity to be part of openness to ideas, to be curious about art and culture, to enjoy and to wonder and we hope that everyone enjoys truly this year’s eclectic festival line up.”
The festival also features fantastic fringe events across the city including comedy, theatre, gigs, EVA International, Ireland's biennial of contemporary art and markets!
Visit www.limerick.ie/riverfest for the full festival line-up. Find us on Facebook Riverfest Limerick or on Twitter @riverfestlmk #riverfest.
Riverfest is run on behalf of Limerick City and County Council and Limerick 2020 by Grooveyard Event Management. Riverfest 2016 sponsors include; The Maldron Hotel, Limerick’s Live 95 FM, The Limerick Post, The Limerick Leader, Mr Binman, The Market Quarter, Fire & Food, Arthur’s Quay Shopping Centre, Irish BBQ Association, and Dolans.