Supporting young people and their families in the local communities to make informed choices towards a healthier lifestyle and promote a sense of community.
Limerick City DEPS project is funded by the Department of Children and Youth Affairs.
To provide different target groups within the community with relevant health information to promote healthy lifestyle choices pertaining to different areas of health
Education & Training
To identify areas of training and gaps relevant education of the community and those linked to the project. To provide relevant education and training programmes or opportunities to fill those gaps
To provide support to the community around issues that affect them and raise awareness of these issues on their behalf. To provide positive outlets for them to socialise in a healthy drug free, safe environment
Provide young people and community members with creative programmes to engage them in activities that promote drug prevention and offer alternative activities. To Provide support and funding for preventative summer activities.
Provide support, education and training to parents and families of young people within the community.
Continue to develop the organisational structures of the projects and link effectively with other community based organisations and projects
Drugs education programmes:
- 4-10 week’s drugs education with parents, youth, community & sports groups & in schools, training centres and workplaces.
- Drugs education workshops with teachers & those working with youth / communities such as family, community or youth workers.
- Drug awareness days in the community.
- 12 week Community Addiction Studies Course (CASC)
- Strengthening Families Programme (runs from September)
- Summer drugs education projects such as making anti-drug films and linking with Irish cancer society through X-hale Youth Awards
Drug prevention programmes:
- Seasonal young men's & young women's groups
- Time out (parents group)
- Young mothers programme
- Fitness through football
- Seasonal provision - Easter, Summer & Winter camps
- Youth clubs -music clubs, youth clubs, homework clubs, junior time-out
- Health promotion mornings / afternoons - chance to try out treatments such as reflexology, reiki, bio-reasonance, acupunture and visit a beautican
- Health promotion - providing social space, health & fitness training, nutrition & cooking, personal development & sexual health
DEPS Northside Youth Space