On 5th May 2015, Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government, Alan Kelly, announced a Social Housing Strategy consisting of 100 separate housing projects across the Country.
Phase 1 of the Social Housing Strategy 2015-2017 sets-out the following target for Limerick City and County Council.
- The delivery of 753 housing Units with an estimated cost of €57.8million
- Targets are subdivided under a Capital Programme and a Current Expenditure Programme.
- 293 units to be delivered under Capital Programme - Delivery options include Local Authority Housing and Capital Assistance Scheme (CAS) through Approved Housing Bodies and the return to use of Void Properties i.e. properties that have been vacant for a long period.
Limerick City and County Council Projects
Under the category of Local Authority Housing the following projects have received ‘approval in principle’ from the Department of Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government (An Roinn Tithíochta, Pleanála, Pobail agus Rialtais Áitiύil).
|Construction Project||No. of Units||Proposed Cost|
|Lisheen Park, Patrickswell||20||€3,700,000.00|
A value-for-money review for each project has been completed by officials at the Department of Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government (An Roinn Tithíochta, Pleanála, Pobail agus Rialtais Áitiύil).
To view the exact location of the above projects please click on the project name listed above.
Current Status of Projects
Limerick City and County Council are currently preparing tender documents for the appointment of an Integrated Design Team. The Integrated Design Team will be employed following a detailed procurement procedure.
Site location maps for the proposed development are available in the supporting documents below.
Limerick City and County Council envisage that all of the projects listed above will be completed by 2017.
Stage 1- Feasibility Study & Stage Design
Stage 2- Planning Developed- Stage Design and Stage Tender- Planning Permission
Stage 3- Implementation- Construction and Handover
Stage 4- Review- Project Completed
During Stage 2 – It is the role of the Integrated Design Team to produce a detailed design of the project and to submit a Planning Permission application.
Where a project is being progressed by the Local Authority planning permission is applied for under Part 8 of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001-2013.
Public consultation is an intrinsic part of the 'Part 8' process, detailed as follows.
- A site notice at the location in question and a newspaper advertisement.
- Plans and particulars are put on public display for four weeks.
- A further two weeks are allowed for submissions.
- Following receipt of submissions, the Chief Executive prepares a report recommending whether or not the proposal should proceed.
- A Part 8 report is then sent to the Planning and Economic Development Department.
- The Planning and Economic Development Department must issue a decision on the application within 2 weeks.
- A Part 8 report is then brought to Area Committee to agree the proposal at local level.
- The Chief Executive then issues approval for Part 8 development.
- Limerick City and County Council must issue a decision on the Part 8 development application within 6 weeks of Chief Executive approval of the Part 8 application.
Please Note: Under Part 8 there is no appeal process to An Bord Pleanala.
The planning application must be passed by the full Council.
A Part 8 Sequence of steps is available in the supporting documents below.
Project updates will be published on this website.
All planning applications are published here.