Limerick Going for Gold has created a new category for previous overall winners as applications for this year’s competition remains as popular, if not more popular than ever.
Over 130 applications have been received for this year’s Limerick Going for Gold 2018. All of these groups have received Limerick Going for Gold Environment Improvement Grant funding ranging from €200 - €2,000 to assist them with their environmental work and help with the overall aim of making Limerick a cleaner, brighter place to work live and visit.
These groups are also in with a chance to win an award in the Limerick Going for Gold Grand Final which will take place in October.
A new category, The Champions Category, has been added for 2018. It will include previous winners of the top prize in the Limerick Going for Gold Challenge Category (or equivalent) and will include the following groups:
- 2017 - Adare Tidy Towns
- 2016 - Glin Tidy Towns
- 2015 – Castleconnell Tidy Towns
- 2014 – Caherdavin Tidy Towns
- 2013 – Annacotty Tidy Towns
- 2012 – Janesboro Tidy Towns
- 2011 – Castletroy View Res Assoc (competition precursor to Limerick Going for Gold)
The other categories in this year’s Limerick Going for Gold competition include:
- Limerick in Bloom
- Residential Areas (Including Estates)
- Challenge Category
- Tidy Towns Incentive Category
- Best Front Garden Competition, sponsored by the Parkway Shopping Centre
Mayor of the city and county of Limerick Cllr James Collins said: “I am thankful to Limerick Going for Gold sponsors, the JP Mc Manus Charitable Foundation, and all of our supporters and friends of Going for Gold. In my role as Mayor I am delighted to see the positive impact that the Limerick Going for Gold grant and competition continues to have on communities across Limerick city and county.”
Gerry Boland from the JP Mc Manus Charitable Foundation added: “I am delighted with the added extra that the Champions Category will give to this year’s Limerick Going for Gold. While it acknowledges the contribution the champions have given to their communities, it also allows other communities to have a shot at glory. I would also like to take the opportunity to confirm on behalf of the Charitable Foundation that the prize fund for Limerick Going for Gold 2018 is once again in the region of €75,000, with a top prize of €10,000 in the Challenge Category and €5,000 in the Limerick in Bloom Category.”
Limerick Going for Gold is run by Limerick City and County Council with sponsorship from JP McManus Charitable Foundation and supported by Limerick’s Live 95fm, the Limerick Leader, Limerick Post, I Love Limerick, Limerick City Centre Tidy Towns, Southern Media and Marketing Design and the Parkway Shopping Centre.
How the Limerick Going for Gold Champions Category will work:
- Each of the Champion areas will be awarded a starting fund.
- For each item of litter seen on judging day a certain amount of money will be deducted from the starting amount.
- The more items of litter found, the more is lost from the starting fund.
- Anything “lost” goes into a winner’s pot and will be awarded to the Champion of Champions for 2018. This will be the area with the least litter on the day/s of judging.
- There will be other runner up and incentive prizes in this category.
- The groups will be given a number of dates over when judges/assessors may visit.
Judging of all Limerick Going for Gold entrants is ongoing and will take place up to mid September.
Limerick gardeners please take note that the closing date for the Best Front Garden Competition, sponsored by the Parkway Shopping Centre is Friday 27th July 2018.
Application forms can be downloaded here.
Completed application forms should be sent by post to: Most Beautiful Garden Competition,Managers Office, Parkway Shopping Centre, Dublin Road, Limerick.
The, #loveyourlimerick Photo Competition is back for 2018. #loveyourlimerick aims to attract wonderful photographs of communities, places and towns throughout Limerick City and County. A cash prize of €500 will be awarded to the photographer who submits the winning entry. To enter the Limerick Going for Gold #loveyourlimerick Photographic Competition you need to:
- Email a high res image (1-10 megabytes) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use the hashtag #loveyourlimerick and upload on either Instagram or Twitter
- Please note terms and conditions apply
Overall #loveyourlimerick 2018. Runner up prizes may also be a feature of this category.