Monday 5th October 2015: Limerick Fire and Rescue Service has announced a fire prevention and fire safety demonstration will be held on Thomas Street in Limerick City tomorrow (Tuesday 6th October 2015) as part of National Fire Safety Week 2015.
Publish Date: Monday 5th October 2015
Limerick Fire and Rescue Service has announced a fire prevention and fire safety demonstration will be held on Thomas Street in Limerick City tomorrow (Tuesday 6th October 2015) as part of National Fire Safety Week 2015.
The Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government will host the 15th annual all-island initiative from today (5th October) to Monday 12th October 2015, in association with the Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service and locally with Limerick Fire & Rescue Service.
The theme of this year’s safety campaign is 'Smoking at Home Can Cause Fatal Fires', which takes into account the significant number of domestic fires started each year as a result of burning cigarettes.
Tuesday's fire safety showcase from 11.00am to 4.00pm will feature demonstrations on Chip Pan fires, use of Fire Extinguishers and advice on Fire Safety in the home.
Fire safety events will also take place at Cappamore, Newcastle West, Rathkeale, Foynes, Kilmallock and Abbeyfeale Fire Stations during the coming week.
"Unfortunately, on average 36 people die in Ireland each year as a result of fire. House fires account for the vast majority of fire fatalities," explained Michael Ryan, Limerick Chief Fire Officer. "Both the very young and the elderly are particularly vulnerable and these groups account for almost half of the domestic fatalities. In most of these incidents, a level of fire safety education and awareness could have prevented the loss of life in a fire or limited the damage. Family members, relatives and friends of the vulnerable are asked to ensure they are protected against the risk of fire."
He continued: "The cause of these fires ranged from heavily sooted and blocked chimneys, smoking in the home, burning rubbish, electrical faults and most alarmingly from children playing with matches or candles. The risk of these fires occurring could be eliminated with the first and most important step being for the public to ensure they have a working smoke alarm in their home."
"By increasing fire safety awareness we hope to reduce the number of fires we attend. With assistance from the people of Limerick we hope achieve this target year on year by urging people to be more vigilant. I would urge members of the public to consider attending Tuesday's demonstration at which we will also be giving away pens, key rings and other items carrying important fire safety messages”, added Mr. Ryan.
Limerick Fire & Rescue Service has the following fire safety advice for the public:
- A routine fire safety check only takes a few minutes but could mean the difference between life and death
- Install smoke alarms in your home to give you an early warning, check your smoke alarm every week & use long life lithium batteries with your smoke alarm if possible
- Close all your doors at night and check that electrical appliances are switched off
- Avoid overloading electrical sockets
- Use an effective spark guard with open fires
- Clean your chimneys twice a year
- Keep a fire extinguisher and/or fire blanket nearby and know how to use them
- Use electric blankets sensibly – Follow the manufacturer’s instructions
- Make sure cigarettes are extinguished properly - Avoid smoking in bed
- Have a fire escape plan, teach it to your family and practise it regularly
- In the event of a fire in your home Get Out, Stay Out And Call the Fire Brigade Out. The phone number to call out the Fire Service is 999/112
Play your part during National Fire Safety Week and check out www.firesafetyweek.ie.
Limerick Fire and Rescue Services Demonstration Day. Photos: Sean Curtin / Fusionshooters