The word Islam means both 'peace' and 'submission'. It is the second largest religion in the world with over 1 billion followers. There are several different groups of Muslims, but all of them, in every country and community, regard their faith as a bond between them, and as a major part of their identity.
- Islam was revealed over 1,400 years ago in Mecca, Arabia. The followers of Islam are called Muslims.
- Muslims believe that there is only One God, ‘Allah’.
- According to Muslims, God sent a number of prophets to mankind to teach them how to live according to His law. Jesus, Moses and Abraham are respected as prophets of God.
- They believe that the final Prophet was Muhammad (peace be upon him).
- Muslims believe that Islam has always existed, but for practical purposes, date their religion from the time of the migration of Muhammad.
- Muslims base their laws on their holy book the Qu’ran, and the Sunnah.
- There are five basic Pillars of Islam, which are the declaration of faith, praying five times a day, giving money to charity, fasting and a once in a lifetime pilgrimage to Mecca..
In Dooradoyle there is a mosque and an Islamic Cultural Centre. Muslims can attend Friday Prayers and receive Quran Lessons there.
Limerick Islamic Cultural Centre