Castleconnell is a pretty town on the banks of the Shannon River, located 11 kilometres from Limerick city, close to the borders of Clare and Tipperary.
The village is home to a number of fine architectural buildings including the Castle Oaks Hotel and Mountshannon House, built in the mid 18th century in a neo Palladian style, it now lies in ruins. Due to the proximity of the town to Limerick city, Castleconnell has experienced an increase in housing development in recent times and has a number of pubs and restaurants.
The town remains a popular location for anglers fishing on the Shannon and Mulkear rivers and has a long history in angling, once being a popular location for royalty to fish. Castleconnell also has a rich and diverse bird life, particularly for swans that migrate from Iceland in the winter to breed on the river.
The town embraces its aquatic setting and has an active rowing club in existence for since 1983. Castleconnell’s Ahane Hurling Club is the most successful hurling team in Limerick having won 19 senior county titles between 1931 and 1948.
Commuters can travel by train to Limerick city and to Nenagh since the line was reopened in 2009. There is a children’s playground located in the town.
Nearby attractions include river and bog walks, fishing on the Mulkear River and nearby Lough Derg located approx. 10 kilometres upstream from Castleconnell which includes the UL Activity Centre, The Spirit of Killaloe – accompanied sightseeing river boat tours and the Killaloe Sailing Club.