The Museum's collection illustrates the history of Limerick and its people.
The displays include archaeological artefacts, Limerick silver, Limerick lace, examples of local printing, military artefacts and much more.
The Limerick Museum is free and based in City Hall, Merchant's Quay, Limerick.
It is a five minute walk from the Tourist Office and 15 minutes from the rail and bus station, next to St. Mary’s Cathedral and the Courthouse.
The Museum's catalogue is available online here.
The Museum was founded in 1906 and was opened to the public in 1916. Its original location was in the City Library, which was then in the Carnegie Building in Pery Square and the librarian of the day was its curator.
The Museum was closed to the public between 1974 and 1979, when it reopened in new premises in St. John’s Square, where it remained for 20 years. In 1998 the Museum was on the move again this time to Castle Lane before taking up residence in Istabraq Hall in City Hall.