Open House Limerick is a festival celebration of contemporary architecture, urban design, heritage and place making. It will return on the weekend of 19th –21st October.
2018 is the seventh year of OpenHouse Limerick. The theme of this year's event is Architecture is Community, and it will explore how space is used by different groups, both as a place of congregation or through layered uses that are re-imagined through time.
It aims to open up a conversation around the value of architecture and its role in the community of Limerick. The weekend events include unparalleled access to private buildings, dwellings, spaces and projects across the region, providing tours and talks with architects, historians, urban designers and occupants.This year includes a number of previously unseen venues as well as some firmly established favourites.
Highlights include new additions such as:
- Tours of Gardens International (Hanging Gardens)
- Tours of St. Mary's Cathedral
- Tours of the A.K. Ilen boat, docked in Limerick Dock
- A presentation of work by Níall McLaughlin Architects - including the International Rugby Experience
- Architect-led tours of the new Limerick Courthouse on Mulgrave Street
- Tour of the new Glucksman Library at the University of Limerick