Scoil Pól began as a girls secondary school in 1915. The school became a "co-ed" in 1968. The new school was opened in 1987.
Brief History of our School
Scoil Pól, Kilfinane began as a secondary school for girls in 1915. The convent was opened to a few boarders. These girls were prepared for the Oxford and Cambridge examination. They stayed in the convent, having their own dormitory and dining room. Classrooms for them and for the day pupils were a room in the Convent basement, a room in the National school and the well-known ‘Class room’, a tin shed moved from site to site as it became necessary to provide a space for later buildings. In 1926 Arus Pól was built and consisted of four classrooms, two music rooms. In the late forties, Arus Bride was erected.
In 1968 Scoil Pól became a co-educational school. In 1987 the new secondary school was opened. In 2005, an extension consisting of a library, IT room and a DCG room, was added.
While maintaining a strong link with firmly established traditions, Scoil Pól has accepted with courage and foresight the challenging demands of ever changing educational needs.
The ethos of the school is reflected in the community spirit that pervades the academic and social activities of staff and students. A genuine interest by the staff in the development if each individual student to his/her potential is a highly valued characteristic of the school. While academic achievement is aimed at, the education of the whole person is a priority. To this end students are encouraged to participate in music and dramatic activities, debates and school functions. A lively interest in games inspires a healthy team spirit and success and enjoyment in the playing fields.
Scoil Pól, Kilfinane