Limerick City and County Council invites applications from suitably qualified applicants for permanent or temporary position(s) of Craft Gardener.
The Craft Gardener shall arrange under the direction of the Superintendent, or his/her appointed representative, the efficient execution of all works in his/her area of charge and discharge all other duties related to his/her work including the following:
To develop, co-ordinate and implement the parks, open/green space planting, maintenance and development programme, to include:
- Maintaining high levels of presentation in public parks, gardens and open spaces
- Designing planting schemes
- Planting and weeding flower beds and borders
- Raising plants from seeds or cuttings and division
- Pruning trees and shrubs
- Checking the health of plants by identifying any pests or diseases and controlling them
- Applying nutrients to plants and watering containers
- Cleaning and maintaining tools and equipment
- Managing green waste and composting
- Apply plant knowledge
- Carry out basic building tasks such as building low walls, fencing, paving etc.
- Liaise with Tidy Towns and residents groups
- Undertake any such training as may be decided upon by the local authority from time to time
- Use all new technology/machinery as required
- Any other duties which may be assigned from time to time.
Candidates shall be of good character.
Each candidate must be in a state of health such as would indicate a reasonable prospect of ability to render regular and efficient service.
- EDUCATION, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE ETC:
Each Candidate must, on the latest date for receipt of completed application forms-
- Hold at a minimum, an Advanced Certificate in Horticulture (QQI Level 6), or equivalent qualification in Horticulture.
- Have comprehensive experience in planning, planting and maintaining greens spaces and/or have a demonstrable aptitude for this type of work.
- Have experience in the care and use of tools, machines and appliances used in the maintenance of parks, gardens and open spaces.
- Have had satisfactory experience of organising and setting out work and of supervising workers.
- Hold a current, unendorsed, full driving licence (minimum Class B).
Preferably, the successful candidate will demonstrate;
- Hold a current Safe Pass Registration Card.
- C1 licence would be a benefit.
- Relevant experience in working in local authorities or similar.
- Satisfactory working knowledge of experience of:
- Computer based systems
- Safety, health and welfare at work
- Basic computer skills
Completed application forms must be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 22nd July 2019.
An official application form must be completed in full by the closing date for the competition. Please note that amendments to the application form will not be accepted after the closing date.
Please send your application from an email address that you will review regularly as communication during the assessment/selection period will only be through that e-mail address.
The Application Form and Briefing Document are also available from Human Resources, Corporate Headquarters, Merchant's Quay, Limerick Tel: (061) 557160 Email: email@example.com.