Rent - Frequently Asked Questions

How is rent calculated?

Rent is calculated on the total household income. This is based on a differential rents scheme applied to all household income. It is charged weekly. 
A proportion of the principal earner’s income is taken, together with a contribution from all subsidiary earners in the household.

What is a principal earner?

The principal earner is the person who is in receipt of the highest assessable income.

What is a subsidiary earner?

A subsidiary earner is a member of the household other than the principal earner who has an income.

Is there a deduction allowed for children?

Yes, in respect of dependent children. Dependent children are those who are under 21 years of age and are attending a full-time course of education and are wholly or mainly maintained by the principal earner.

What happens when a household income is under-declared?

Where household income is under-declared, arrears of rent will be applied to the rent account. It is the responsibility of the tenant to declare any changes in household income or changes in persons residing in the property to Limerick City and County Council.

What income is assessed for rent purposes?

  • Income from all employment, including self employment
  • All social insurance, social assistance, payment allowances, pensions, health board allowances, training allowances
  • Income from all pensions
  • Child maintenance payments
  • Carers Allowance

What income is disregarded in calculating rent?

  • Children’s Allowance
  • Orphan’s allowance/pension
  • Scholarships/Higher Education Grants
  • Fuel Allowance
  • Living Alone Allowance
  • Allowances payable under the Boarding out of children Regulations 1954
  • Allowances for domiciliary care of handicapped children under the Health Act 1970

What happens if I do not return my rent income details?

The primary responsibility rests with the tenant to immediately notify the Council of any changes in household income or composition. Tenants are asked periodically to confirm household residents and income. Tenants who do not return this information, fully certified within a certain timeframe may incur an additional charge. It is the tenants’ responsibility to return the necessary information as soon as possible.

How do I pay my rent?

Rent can be paid a number of different ways:

  • By household budget (deduction at source from my social welfare payment made in the post office)
  • Bank Standing Order which can be set up at the bank
  • Bill pay at the post office, using a rent card supplied by the local authority
  • At the cash desk in the local authority offices (including the Municipal Distict offices in Killmallock, Rathkeale, and Newcastle West)
  • Online payments via the local authorities website

If you have any queries in relation to your Rent / Rental Accommodation Scheme / Improvement Works in Lieu payments please contact your local office. 

Contact Information

Limerick City and County Council
Housing Support Services
Merchant’s Quay
Phone: +353 61 556000

Limerick City and County Council Area Office - Kilmallock
The Courthouse
Co. Limerick
Phone: +353 63 98019

Limerick City and County Council Area Office - Newcastle West
Áras Smith O’ Brien
Newcastle West
Co. Limerick
Phone: +353 69 62100

Limerick City and County Council Area Offices - Rathkeale
New Line
Co. Limerick
Phone: +353 69 64047

Download the latest documents

This service is provided by

Housing Support Services Department

Phone +353 61 556000
Limerick City and County Council, Merchant's Quay, Limerick, V94 EH90