Limerick City and County Council. Planning and Development Act 2000 (Amended). Planning and Development Regulations 2001 (Amended). Notice is hereby given in accordance with Part II Section 11(1) of the Planning and Development Act 2000 (amended) that Limerick City and County Council intends to review the Limerick City Development Plan 2010 – 2016 (as extended) and the Limerick County Development Plan 2010 – 2016 (as extended) and prepare a new Development Plan, for its functional area for the period 2022 – 2028.
The Development Plan sets out the overall strategy for the proper planning and sustainable development of the City and County. It sets out the policy framework and a Core Strategy, within which development throughout Limerick will be promoted and regulated over the six-year period of the plan within the context of the national, regional framework of strategies and guidelines. The Plan will set out the strategic spatial vision and future direction for Limerick from 2022 to 2028.
Strategic Environmental Assessment and Appropriate Assessment
In compliance with the Strategic Environmental Assessment Directive (2001/42/EC) and in accordance with Article 13B of the Planning and Development (Strategic Environmental Assessment) Regulations 2004 (S.I. No. 436 of 2004) (as amended), the Planning Authority proposes to carry out a Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) as part of the review of the existing Development Plans and preparation of a new Development Plan. For this purpose, the Planning Authority will prepare an Environmental Report of the likely significant effects on the environment of implementing the new Plan. The provisions of Articles 13C to 13J of Planning and Development (Strategic Environmental Assessment) Regulations 2004 (S.I. No. 436 of 2004) (as amended) shall also apply.
Pursuant to the requirements of Article 6 of the Habitats Directive (92/43/EEC), a Stage One Screening for Appropriate Assessment (AA) shall be carried out as part of the overall process and subsequent stages of AA shall be carried out, if required.
Strategic Issues Paper
In order to stimulate debate and encourage participation in this process an Issues Paper has been prepared and is available for inspection at the following locations, during normal opening hours, from Saturday 15th August 2020 until Monday 12th October (both dates inclusive):
- Limerick City and County Council Headquarters, Merchants Quay, Limerick;
- Limerick City and County Council, County Hall, Dooradoyle, Limerick;
- All Limerick City and County Council Libraries, throughout the City and County;
- All Limerick City and County Council Municipal District Offices;
- Online at https://www.limerick.ie/limerick-development-plan
In addition to the Issues Paper, a number of background papers have been prepared in relation to key themes and these papers are available to view and download from the website above, or viewed in the venues identified above with the Issues Paper.
As part of the pre-draft process public meetings will be held, by appointment only and subject to government guidance, on the following dates:
- 7th September 2020 - Istabraq Hall, Limerick City and County Council, Merchants Quay, Limerick from 2.00pm – 7.00pm;
- 8th September 2020 – Newcastle West Municipal Office, Newcastle West – from 2.00pm – 7.00 pm;
- 9th September 2020 – Cappamore–Kilmallock Municipal Office, Kilmallock from 2.00pm to 7.00 pm;
- 14th September – Istabraq Hall, Limerick City and County Council, Merchants Quay, Limerick from 2.00pm to 7.00pm;
- 15th September 2020 – Rathkeale House Hotel from 2.00pm to 7.00pm.
The public are advised that an appointment shall be booked in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 061 – 556508, due to Covid – 19 restrictions.
A webinar will be hosted by Limerick City and County Council on Thursday 17th September 2020 at 7pm, on the proposed Limerick Development Plan 2022 – 2028, log onto https://www.limerick.ie/limerick-development-plan for more information.
Submissions or observations regarding the review of the existing plans and the preparation of the proposed Limerick Development Plan are hereby invited from the public and interested bodies. Submissions may be made during the period from Saturday August 15th 2020 – Monday 12th October 2020 inclusive.
Making a Submission
Limerick City and County Council hereby invites any interested parties to make a submission/observation to have a say in influencing and helping to frame the general direction of the Limerick Development Plan 2022 – 2028, which will cover Limerick City and County. Public input at this stage of the plan making process is vitally important to ensure that the adopted plan reflects the publics concerns and aspirations for Limerick.
In accordance with the foregoing in respect of the review of the existing Limerick City Development Plan 2010 – 2016 (as extended) and Limerick County Development Plan 2010 – 2016 (as extended) and the preparation of the proposed Limerick Development Plan 2022 – 2028, you are invited to make a submission/observation via the following mediums:
- Online at https://mypoint.limerick.ie
- Email to email@example.com
- In writing to: Forward/Strategic Planning, Economic Development Directorate Limerick City and County Council, Merchants Quay, Limerick, V94 EH90
In respect of the making of submissions/observations please note the following:
- Submissions/observations should include your name and may include address and, where relevant, details of any organisation, community group or company etc., which you represent;
- Submissions/observations regarding objectives and policies to deliver an overall strategy for the proper planning and sustainable development of the area of the development plan may be made. Submissions/observations at this stage of the overall plan-making process should be strategic in nature and focus on ‘big picture’ issues;
- The Planning Authority intends to review the zoning within the Development Plan for the purposes of developing objectives and policies to deliver an overall strategy for the proper planning and sustainable development of the area and the Core Strategy. However, requests or proposals for the zoning of particular land for any purpose shall not be considered at this stage;
- Children, groups or associations representing the interests of children are entitled to make submissions or observations regarding the objectives and policies to deliver an overall strategy for the proper planning and sustainable development of the area of the Development Plan;
- Please be advised that all submissions received will be published online in accordance with the requirements of the Planning and Development Act 2000 (amended) and will be summarised in the Chief Executive’s Report, which will be published. You should ensure that no vexatious, libellous or confidential information, including confidential information relating to a third party (in respect of which the third party has not, expressly, or impliedly in the circumstances, consented to its disclosure) is included in your submission. The Planning Authority reserves the right to redact any submission or part thereof that does not comply with this requirement. Please be advised that the submission will be published in full;
- Please make your submission by one medium only i.e. in hard copy or via the website. This will avoid the duplication of submission reference numbers and will streamline the process.
All submissions received prior to 5pm on October 12th 2020, will be considered in Chief Executive’s Report, late submissions will not be considered.
If you have any queries or require more detail, please don’t hesitate to contact the Forward/Strategic Planning Section at firstname.lastname@example.org or 061 – 556508.
A/Director of Services - Economic Development Directorate